For more than 3 decades in a world-renowned IT research and development organization I was able to witness first hand new developments and trends, ultimately as Chief Technology Advisor, as well as to actively participate in some of them.
The aforementioned role also dealt intensively, inter alia, with the annually published IBM Global Technology Outlook (GTO). Over a 3-10 year horizon this considered developments in IT, which have the potential to massively modify our industry, business models and even society.
I have been persistently engaged with the varying hot topics from IT, and naturally beyond the scope of IBM. During many discussions and presentations on these topics for IBM and during my intensive lecture and consulting activities, I became ever more aware of the significance of a broader view and a comprehensible transfer of these contents especially to decision makers, but not necessarily IT-savy audiences.
Naturally in the daily execution of routine business, time and leisure are often lacking to devote one`s self to comprehensive topics and their ramifications. Many developments, such as the following examples demonstrate, are not intuitively understandable by their very nature and often their consequences can not even yet be anticipated.
- We run against a brick wall – atoms cannot be scaled.
- Why Moore`s Law is on the ropes and why and how we still proceed.
- New hardware developments:
What are the concepts behind them and what are the special opportunities they have to offer?
Where are the limits for technologies like Neuromorphic Computing and Quantum Computing?
Social Computing, Mobile and Analytics
- The normal madness: IT has woven itself into daily life and has become indistinguishable from it.
- Why we can not live without it and why we often simultaneously do not feel completely comfortable about it and why we as corporations absolutely need to care about all three of them.
Internet of Things
- What is the big deal? Why is this important?
- Only ‘quantify yourself’ and ‘home automation’?
- Industrie 4.0 as solution and problem at the same time?
- Which universe is hidden behind this key word and how is it connected with the other topics touched upon here?
- A whole new ball game, or just new wine in old wine-skins?
- What is it exactly and what does it mean for whom?
Cognitive Computing, Artificial Intelligence
- What is science fiction, hype or reality?
- How does it work, what works (already)?
- What does that mean for our lives and our jobs?